Signs and Symptoms:3,4
FAST Principle for calling 911:
According to the long-term Framingham Study, ischemic stroke survivors 65 years or older exhibited the following 6 months post-stroke:
Physical Therapy Interventions:8,9
1. Go AS, Mozaffarian D, Roger VL, et al. Heart disease and stroke statistics-2014 update: a report from the American Heart Association. Circulation. 2014;129: e28-e292.
2. Shah, S. Stroke pathophysiology. Foundation for Education and Research in Neurological Emergencies. Available at: http://www.uic.edu/com/ferne/pdf/pathophys0501.pdf. Accessed April 28, 2014.
3. Know stroke. Know the signs. Act in time. National Institute of Neurological Disorders Web site. Available at: http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/stroke/knowstroke.htm. Accessed April 28, 2014.
4. Thibaut A, Chatelle C, Ziegler E, et al. Spasticity after stroke: physiology, assessment and treatment. Brain Injury. 2013;27(10): 1093-1105.
5. How is a stroke diagnosed? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. Availble at: https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/stroke/diagnosis.html. Accessed April 29, 2014.
6. Stroke. University of Maryland Medical Center Web site. Available at: http://umm.edu/health/medical/reports/articles/stroke. Accessed April 29, 2014.
7. Kelly-Hayes M, Beiser A, Kase CS, et al. The influence of gender and age on disability following ischemic stroke: the Framingham study. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2003;12: 119-126.
8. Gordon NF, Gulanick M, Costa F, et al. Physical activity and exercise recommendations for stroke survivors. Ciruclation. 2004;109: 2013-2041.
9. Thieme H, Mehrholz J, Pohl M, et al. Mirror therapy for improving motor function after stroke. Stroke. 2013;44(1): e1-2.